Sunday, November 23, 2008

coversations with my kids

Since Abigail has started kindergarten, we spend many days in the car. Lately, we have been having some pretty deep conversations, all while driving. I just keep glancing in the mirror because I would love to see their faces as they ask questions and process the answer.

Abigail, age 5 1/2: "Mom, are there really people in the world who don't know about God?"
me: "yes, there are."
Abbs: "I HAVE to go tell them right now!"
(we have used this conversation many time when talking about what it's like to be a missionary)
me: "you can! That's why we are going to Africa; to help people and tell then about God."

Jake, age 4: having a conversation about the fact that we will look different than most everyone in Africa
me: "People might want to touch your skin and your hair."
Jake: after a long pause "Will it hurt?"

Alyson, age 2 1/2: anytime we talk about Africa, she will listen that pipe up and yell, "Jesus loves me, this I know!"
(It's comforting to know that she knows this!!)

Jake: (out-of-the-blue) "Mom, who lives in the sky and talks to us?"
me: "ummmmm.....God?" (honestly, my mind was on something else and I was trying to figure out where he was coming from!)
Jake: "YES MOM! You got it!! and who lives with Him?"
me: "Jesus?"
Jake: "YES MOM! You got it again! Did you know that Jesus lives in my heart and God is in a burning bush?"
me: "Tell me about it." (I know, cop-out answer but I was hoping he would elaborate!)
Jake: goes into great deal of the story of Moses and the burning bush and ends with, "Mom, don't forget about God's rules because that would be very bad!!" He says this with great enthusiasm and pointing his finger in the air as he emphasizes every word.

I have had conversations with many missionaries and they all say the same thing, "Your children are the perfect age to go!" They are right! They are young enough that everything is exciting and new. They ask questions but are ok knowing that life will be different and Abigail has told me time and time again that she just wants to get to Africa and start helping people. They are so proud God has also called them to be missionaries.

2 comments:

Anyadwe said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anyadwe said...

I lOVE those kids!! And you too! But definitely NOT Dave!! :)